Wednesday 31 July 2013

TRICKY INTERVIEW QUESTIONS- WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST WEAKNESS


This is the number one most hated question asked in interviews. What they are asking is not for you to tell them something that is actually strength in their eyes, like “I work too hard”. What they want from you is a perceived development area that is minor in terms of its ability affect the job you have to do, but big enough that improving it will make a large difference to your effectiveness as an employee and overall person.

This is a great example of what is known as a negative question. Negative questions are a favorite among interviewers, because they're effective for uncovering problems or weaknesses. The key to answering negative questions is to give them a positive spin. For this particular question your best bet is to admit to a weakness that isn't catastrophic, inconsistent, or currently disruptive to your chosen professional field, and to emphasize how you've overcome or minimized the problem. Whatever you do, don't answer this question with a copout like "I can't think of any," or even worse, "I don't really have any major weaknesses." This kind of a response is likely to eliminate you from contention.

Always follow your weakness with what you need to do to fix it. Some suggested answers include:

  • I’m not good at saying ‘no’ – I need to learn to delegate and rely on my team more.
  • I get bogged down in the details – I need to learn to focus on broader objectives and see the bigger picture (not good if you are applying for a job where attention to detail is more important).
  • I don’t have as much management experience as I’d like – I believe that I have strong leadership potential, but I really want the opportunity to grow these skills.
  • I tend to spread myself too thin, taking on projects that aren't related to my job when asked – I need to learn to be more focused on my core objectives (another way of saying A).
  • I occasionally over-think problems – I need to learn to be more decisive and proactive in dealing with issues.

This is not the time to confess all your problems nor to confidently say you have no weaknesses. The best way to handle this question is to mention personal weaknesses that are outside the job or a professional weakness that you have already improved upon.

FOR MORE INTERVIEW TIPS. KEEP READING OUR BLOG

1 comment:

  1. where do you get the ideas to write these articles.

    ReplyDelete